Monday, August 1, 2011

New Catalog Blog Hop Recap

Weren't you amazed at the quality of the projects on the blog hop? My golly, my wish list is twice as long as it was before! This post is just to add the things I didn't have room for on Friday, so that you can get more details about my projects.

First, let me say, I'm not a good procrastinator. I like to get things done early. However, I got these projects completed Thursday before the hop. The good thing was that Kim B. from Stampin' and Stitchin' on paper came over Thursday to use my computer for her own post as hers is under the weather. Her advice on my bird house card started the whole changed background that so many hoppers commented about. Let's start with that.

That birdhouse seemed like a perfect start to a card. I wanted to pick colors for fall and ones that would look good on a birdhouse. I also decided (unrealistically) that the little bird should be a canary. (Canary's don't live outdoors in Wisconsin, and usually, I'm a bit true to form nature-wise). I knew I wanted Daffodil Delight. I grabbed my color coach and found that Cherry Cobbler and Early Espresso would work well with that. Kim suggested a bit of Old Olive. I started with my front piece and colored it. It's not your ordinary piece, though, it's a 3 3/4 by 3 3/4 mini card that holds the other side together in what is called a joy fold card. See:

So really, you can write on the Cherry Cobbler inside or inside the Old Olive card! How cool is that? Love these cards! Anyway, I used the new Stripes Embossing Folder on my Early Espresso cardstock and had it on the Cherry Cobbler, and had the Old Olive piece sitting there and something just wasn't right. The Early Espresso was just too overpowering for my little birdhouse. Kim suggested that I "lightly" sponge some Whisper White Craft ink on the ridges to expose them more. Graceful stamper that I am, added way, and I mean WAY, too much. My only option (since I had a mess on my hands) was to smear more and the wipe off some. That worked, but was a little too white. So, I sponged some Early Espresso ink over the white and achieved the barnboard look. Amazing how a mistake can turn really cool. That's all there is to my trick, smear too much, wipe off some, cover with more.

The Christmas Card had nothing really exciting going on except that I stole CASED (Copy and Share Everything) the layout from Tandra Boyer. She hasn't posted her version on her blog--as least as far as I can see, but I did copy her embossing idea and sketch. Kim also suggested to use my scissors to score each petal so they bent up instead of curling them. She saw it on a Convention Swap card and I must say that it worked well.

Finally, how did I make that little box? Well, I CASED a gift from my Leadership Roomie Laura. Hers was valentiney, but I made mine all-occasion.


1. Use the Big Shot to cut two scallop envelopes from the same color cardstock. 
2. Score 1/2 inch from bottom score line. I used my bone folder and ruler once I had my envelope placed on my grid paper. Cut off at score line.
3. Run through each piece individually through the Big Shot in the Embossing Folder of your Choice. I folded down the top to the first one so that the embossing on my flap would match the embossing on my front.

4. Place sticky strip on all three edges of the front piece.

 5. Adhere two layers together so all flaps kick to the back.

5. Fold front flap over. Keep back flap up. Decorate as desired!

Happy Stamping!



  1. Love how you made that barnyard look! What a fortunate accident!

  2. Love the barnyard look! Thanks for sharing the "how to" of your happy accident!

  3. What a great technique you've invented. Or at least I haven't heard of it.

  4. Such a cute box. Love it!

  5. Love how your accident worked out for you! Love the technique too! Your box is adorable! Thanks for the how-to's!


Thanks for commenting! I love feedback!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...